Death is a hard thing to accept.
I lost my grandmother (my father's mother) about six weeks ago. This past weekend, we flew back to "bury" my grandfather. I have now lost all of my "grand" generation, and most of the "great's". There are a few things I wish. I wish I would have told them more I loved them. I wished I could have spent a little more time with them. In most cases, I wish I could have told them good-bye. (I was fortunate to have that chance with Grandpa Olsen.) I wish them the best on their new journey.
It would have been nice to have my grandparents at my wedding.
It would have been nice to have my grandparents at my graduation.
I guess God has other plans. In any case, I live on as a younger generation of Olsen. I have much to do in this world to leave my own distinct mark, and I know I won't be alone. Still...
It would have been nice to have my grandparents at my wedding.
It would have been nice to have my grandparents at my graduation.
I guess God has other plans. In any case, I live on as a younger generation of Olsen. I have much to do in this world to leave my own distinct mark, and I know I won't be alone. Still...

4 Comments:
Chris,
I am very sorry to discover that your grandparents have passed away.
What a beautiful tribute to them, you have captured the essence of their lives, with your words.
It seems like yesterday, when I met them. in New Jersey. Their son, Richard, my college sweetheart, took me to meet his parents (your grandparents) this month, 40 yrs ago. We had the best time visitng with them, and attending my friend's wedding at West Point.
My parents have passed away, several years ago.
Those whom we have loved are always with us, in our hearts & minds.
God gives us the strength to deal with death, when the time comes.
You never forget all of the little things your parents and grandparents have told you, about life. Perhaps that is why it takes so many years to grow up; there is much to learn.
Your grandmother had a Dodge Charger, and Richard told me she bought it with her sewing money;
that was very cool.
.
I would love to hear from Richard; my contact information is listed in the UVA Alumni Directory, where I went to graduate school.
May you go forth in life, with your new degree, knowing that you
are blessed to have such a wonderful family, and grandparents who loved you, long before you were born.
Thank you for this blog, I have enjoyed reading it. Congratulations, on your graduation!
Blessings & Peace,
Mary Corbin, M.Ed.
You're request for contact has been passed along, Mary :)
Thank you for letting Rich know
that I found your blog, how nice of you to do that. :)
Your blog entries have been fun to read, The "Honeymoon Cruise" blog is still my favorite.
When Richard & I were young and in love, it was a very big mistake NOT to listen to my heart. I needed to see him in person and felt the same way he did.
He was right, I always loved him.
It is unfortunate that we managed to break each other's heart, while trying to please our parents.
Always,
Mary
P.S.
Richard's mother, your grandmother, bought NYC Broadway theater, tickets for "Fiddler on the Roof," the same night I was in my friend's wedding. June, '68.
Forever, I wished we had been able to go with your grandparents, and always think of them, when I see the movie, or hear the songs.'
Your grandmother did a little dance
from the show, and sang, when she talked about going.:)
She told me her hopes for each of her sons, and her grandchildren, before you were born.
Thank you for writing back to me, it is a joy, after meeting your grandparents and caring about Richard so much, all of my life.
Much Love,
Mary
Post a Comment
<< Home